- Famous for: Tourism, Variety of flora promotion, unusual giant trees.
- Entrance Fee: For children below 12 years’ entry is free and for adults it is a nominal 20 INR.
- Visiting Time: It is open on all days from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Visit Duration: People can spend up to 1 – 1.5 hours of time over here.
You might catch up with botanical gardens around the corner, in many places in the country. However, one such, near the sea side is a rare sight. The exotic plants introduced by the French, of which the few survivor species are found in this Botanical Garden.
Things to Do
- A kid’s play area for some enjoyment time for your kid.
- An aquarium having really exclusive collections, where entry is 10 INR and 5 INR.
- A toy train ride inside the garden at a fee of 10 INR and 5 INR.
- Musical Fountain.
Pondicherry, itself being a sea side territory, has a pleasant weather round the year. The scorching months of May and June can be avoided for your convenience. Months of December, January and February having comparatively stable weather, sees a rise in tourists’ crowds.
How to Reach
The nearest airport to the botanical garden, Pondicherry is, Chennai International Airport which is a distance of about 157 kilometers and would take about 3.5 hours to reach the garden from there by cab. You can also board a bus to reach there, which operate from the Chennai city bus stand. If you are planning to travel by train, then it would be closer than the airport, since it is at a walking distance of 11 minutes from the garden.
Interesting Facts about Botanical Garden
- This place has a touch of French architecture and it is reflected by the gate leading to the garden.
- Spread across 22 acres of land this garden houses almost 1500 species of flora.
- This garden was laid by the French long back in 1826
- Has in store some exotic and endangered species of flora.
- Basilica of the sacred heart of Jesus
- Sri Aurobindo Ashram
- Bharathi Park
- Immaculate conception cathedral
- Zuca choco la
- Baker street
- French delicacies
- Les chefs
- Villa shanti
These are some of the notable ones. There are many other restaurants available within 1 kilometer radius of the place.
Pondicherry is one de-stressing and peaceful French colony, which you will visit in your life. The Botanical Garden, along with the other famous tourist spots just adds on to the tranquility of the place.